Sunday, December 1, 2013

Kick-off to Thanksgiving Break

It all started with a Daddy-Daughter hoedown Friday night at school. Isabella bobbed for apples, ate brownies, and learned how to throw a lasso. When they came home, Mark threw some hay that he'd stashed in his pocket on the kitchen floor, and said, "This is what it looked like." He then grabbed Isabella's hands and they danced while he sang "Achy, Breaky Heart". 

This was the best we could do with the western gear: hiking boots and a vest for Mark, dressy boots and a jean skirt for Isabella.

On Saturday we drove up to El Dorado Hills to stay with the Stephens family. We squeezed in a trip to Apple Hill to have family pictures taken. We arrived in the late afternoon, so we had to rush around before the sun set, but I love it there. We ate apple donuts and ran around the orchards while Heather took pictures. I wished we lived closer so we could go more often.

Here's a special preview of what our family holiday card will look like this year.
Oh wait! That would be the Stephens family. Ours will be coming...
I loved our trip for so many reasons. Here's one: Brooke and I often talk about how we lucked out having kids so close in age. Isabella and Daysha are 8 months apart. And this was Sunday morning. I went out to the back patio to see what they were doing, and they were just sitting there--conversing--all about Halloween and trick-or-treating. I went back in the house to get my camera, and when I came back out, they were telling stories. Daysha's was about a trip to McDonald's. Isabella's was about a house that got destroyed in a storm.
 Matthew and Leo are 4 months apart. Matthew decided to take Leo's car for a little joy ride.
 Leo didn't like that and came out ready with his broom and best scowl.
(Actually, he was just playing with the broom and squinting from the sun light)
 They climbed the stairs together...
and took a bath. Best buddies.

After all the kids went to sleep, we grown ups stayed up and played Loaded Question and Awkward Family Photos (the game), which was fun because Mark and I never do couple-things with other couples. Mark and I also helped deplete Brooke and Aaron's left over Halloween candy supply by at least a third. 'Cuz that's what friends do.

We finished our weekend at the Wentzel's for dinner. I can't wait 'til we go back!

No comments: