It is such a delight to watch this baby figure out the world. Having Matthew is like witnessing life unfold in slow motion--and it's a beautiful thing. You take for granted how quickly babies figure stuff out and may never even know the work that goes into building each muscle, so that the next milestone can be reached. Matthew is a reminder of how amazing that process is. At 15 months, he sits, and rotates while sitting, and gets on all fours and rocks. He pulls himself forward in an army crawl; he is just now figuring out that lifting his backside and pushing off the floor with his feet is more efficient than pulling himself along with just his arms. But now he has to build the muscle and coordination to be able to balance on all fours so that then he can actually crawl. He may in this stage for a while, and we get to enjoy the ride.
Like all babies, Matthew likes anything that isn't a toy. So I try to indulge him. I opened up the cupboard where I keep a lot of my baking ingredients on the bottom shelf. Most items are in cylindrical containers and covered with plastic lids. He pulled out the unsweetened cocoa, and then he rolled it. And then he chased after it. And then he rolled it again, and chased it, again.
Before I knew it, he had moved past the kitchen table into the playroom. He was so focused, and so entertained. Granted, the rooms in our house are small, but this kid rolled the unsweetened cocoa around the train table (I did have to move a few obstacles), and back into the kitchen.
All the while building muscle that will help him move onto the next phase. Amazing!
Love my boy!




No comments:
Post a Comment